Dear Rascal Families,
It is hard to believe it is already August! I know there are a lot of questions about what school will look like this year. Please know we are tirelessly working to plan and adapt based on the ever-changing guidance from the state. Now that we have some solid direction (at least through November 13), I wanted to reach out to families and gather information on your choice for your student(s). This information will further help our school-based team create classroom placements and plans for specific students around how to best meet their needs. I will attempt to give a brief description of each of the Salem-Keizer options you have to choose from. After that, there is a link to a survey for you to fill out about your plans for your child(ren). There is also a spot to indicate if you are planning on a non-Salem-Keizer School District option for next year. Also, if you would like more information and/or would like to discuss things with someone from the school, there is an option for that too. Thank you for helping us as we plan for the fall!
OPTION 1: Blended Learning Model (also called Hybrid Model)
- All students are automatically enrolled in this option unless you choose to enroll in something else
- Each student would be assigned a teacher from Salem Heights.
- Students in each class will only be students from Salem Heights
- This model is highly dependent on COVID-19 numbers in Marion and Polk county.
- As long at the numbers are above a certain point, all learning will happen through Comprehensive Distance Learning (all online).
- When the COVID-19 numbers reach a certain level, we will transition to a blend of in-person teaching and Comprehensive Distance Learning (still with the same Salem Heights teacher/class).
- That will not happen until at least November 16.
- If we transition to a blend of in-person and Comprehensive Distance Learning and the COVID-19 numbers rise again, we will move back to all Comprehensive Distance Learning online.
OPTION 2: EDGE
- This model is taught by teachers from within the Salem-Keizer School District, but not Salem Heights teachers.
- Each student would be assigned a teacher/class and stay with that teacher all year long.
- Students in the classes will be from all over the Salem-Keizer School District. There is a possibility that other Salem Heights kids would end up in your child’s class, but the majority would be from other schools.
- This option will provide instruction completely online.
- There is no in-person teaching in the EDGE program.
- This is the best option for those who do not want their students to return to the school building for instruction this year.
- This is also a good option for families that cannot easily adjust to the COVID-19 numbers-based schedule changes throughout the school year.
Both of these options will teach the same content on the same timeline. There will be specific points throughout the year that a switch between the two options might be possible, but we are hoping families stick with their choice for consistency.
Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know your thinking! Here is the link to the short survey: https://forms.gle/TGbXFox461MvBruS9